Take3fortheSea is a global initiative founded by an Australian Environmentalist, Tim Silverwood, Marine Ecologist, Roberta Dixon Vark and Surfer, Amanda Marechal in 2009 in an effort to reduce plastic pollution going into our ocean. North Cottesloe Surf Life Saving Club is the first surf life saving club in Western Australia to be part of the Take3 initiative and launched in February 2019.
If we don’t start taking action now by 2050 there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish.
1. There is more microplastic in our ocean than stars in the Milky Way;
2. A plastic bottle takes 450 years to break up and decompose;
3. Every minute, the equivalent of pouring one garbage truck of plastic into the ocean occurs.
North Cottesloe is excited to announce that we are to be the FIRST surf lifesaving club in Western Australia to be part of Take3.
Our aim at North Cottesloe in taking part in Take3 is to:
1. Educate our members and the North Cottesloe community about the impact of marine debris;
2. Work on a source reduction plan within our club, the Town of Cottesloe and with our local businesses;
3. Hold 2-3 beach clean ups per year, logging the rubbish onto the Australian Marine Debris Database and also that of Take3.
The message is really easy ….
Take 3 pieces of rubbish off the beach every time you leave!
Is there rubbish on our beach?
Many members believe there is no rubbish on North Cottesloe Beach, however our first beach cleanup saw over 150 cigarette butts, coffee cups, mentos wrappers, cigarette lighters, food packaging, straws, rope, plastic bottles, a fish trap, ear buds, glass and lots more collected in an area 500m north and 500m south of our surf club in under 30 minutes.
Some information on Marine Debris and Marine Life
What Harm Does It Do?
#take3forthesea Social Media
You too can snap and share a photo with #take3forthsea to inspire others to do the same.
North Cott SLSC Keep Cups
Did you know takeaway coffee cups are the second largest contributor to landfill behind plastic bottles. You can make a difference by using a Keep Cup.
Buy yourself a North Cottesloe SLSC Keep Cup from the Clubs merchandise store.